Toyota Camry-All you need to know
Some cars are classics as they are loved globally. Such models evolve with time and sail smoothly amid newer models bestowed with a progressive design and cutting-edge technology. Even though Camry has been catering to a vast customer base for a long time, it is still going strong despite new entrants taking the centre stage.
Toyota came up with its hybrid offering much before hybrids became a common notion in the global auto industry. The Toyota Camry is one of the popular HEVs in the GCC region, and while it has been revered all this while, the sedan faces threat from new rivals.
With the latest update, the new Camry sees a huge improvement over its predecessor. Here is a quick look at what we like and what could change for better in Toyota’s longstanding sedan.
2019 Toyota Camry Exterior
Built on Toyota’s new Global Architecture (TNGA) platform, the 2019 Camry gets a prominent lower grille in front featuring multiple chrome slats that also double as air-inlets. Side skirts and integrated fog lamps further accentuate the sculpted structure.
The upper part of the front apron sports pulled back headlamps that invoke agility into the front facet. Chunky alloys and sharp creases look bold, while the integrated lip-spoiler, a thin chrome strip between split-tail-lamps, etc. are some key elements at the back.
- The base 2.5-litre S equips 16-inch steel wheels.
- Alloy wheels are available in two different sizes (17 and 18-inch) from 2.5-litre SE onwards.
- Save for entry-level variants that get body-painted door handles, the higher grades feature plusher chrome-finished units.
- Wing mirrors with power-retractable functions are missing in the base trims.
- Chrome window molding, wireless door lock and LED headlamps are standard exterior features.
- A sunroof is available from 2.5-litre SE onwards.
- Chrome side protection molding, illuminated scuff plate, and rear spoiler can be had with 3.5-litre SE only.
While it receives an array of fitments on the outside, features such as sunroof, spoiler, chrome handles should be standard.
How is the 3.5-litre Sport variant different from the standard Camry in terms of looks?
The 3.5-litre Sport version in Camry’s line-up features some extra styling elements. It gets dark finishing on the LED headlamps with auto-leveling, rear spoiler, and a special sports package. The additional kit comprises of restyled bumpers, honeycomb mesh grille, and sportier suspension set-up.
What colour options are available with Toyota Camry?
The Toyota Camry colour options comprise eight monotone exterior shades including Emotional Red, Attitude Black Mica, Dark Blue Metallic, Silver Metallic, Super White II, Steel Blonde Metallic, Platinum White Pearl Mica and Graphite Metallic. A single dual shade-Attitude Black Mica/Emotional Red is also offered on the sedan.
Given below are the 2019 Toyota Camry dimensions
The Sport variant measures slightly longer at 4,905 mm, while width and height remain same.
2019 Toyota Camry Interior
On the inside, the four-door sedan features a five-seat layout with a comfortable room for occupants seated in front and rear. Customers can choose from a wide range of interior colour options depending on the grade. While the base trims sport fabric upholstery, the premium leather seat covers are available with the higher 3.5-litre variants.
- The base 2.0-litre S grade misses out on the dual-zone auto air-conditioner, leather-trimmed steering wheel, power-adjusting driver’s seat, push-start button and powered back sun-shade.
- The standard interior kit consists of fabric seats, electric power steering, central door locking, auto-dimming rearview mirror and 4.2-inch TFT multi-information display on the 2.5-litre version.
- On the other hand, the 3.5-litre model is layered with some additional features such as a larger 7-inch TFT display, powered co-passenger seat, drive modes (eco, sport and normal), lumbar support for the front seats.
- Besides, it also benefits from 60:40 split-folding function and a paddle shifter.
- The Sport variant varies a tad with sports seats offering a more comfortable experience to the occupants.
Despite an overhaul, the Toyota Camry still misses out on the new-age connectivity features such as Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa.
Which infotainment unit does the new Camry get?
A 7-inch audio system is fitted in the S, SE 2.5-litre and S 3.5-litre variants. This system gets AM/FM/DVD/AUX/USB/Bluetooth connectivity, six speakers and display audio. Steering mounted controls help manage audio, MID and cruise control at the push of a button. A larger 8-inch display unit can be availed with the SE and Sport 3.5-litre grades.
2019 Toyota Camry Engine & Transmission
The Toyota Camry specifications include two engines-a 2.5-litre unit and a 3.5-litre V6 motor. A six-speed automatic gearbox is paired with the 2.5-litre unit and the V6 unit is connected to an eight-speed auto box.
- Both engines comply with Euro 4 emission norms.
- The 3.5-litre V6 engine is more powerful compared to the 2.5-litre unit.
- An electric motor is available with the 2.5-litre unit.
- Out of the two engines, the 2.5-litre unit returns more fuel economy.
- The Camry HEV is claimed to run up to 850 km on one tank of fuel.
|Engine||2.5L 4-cylinder, in-line Dual VVT-i||3.5L V6, 6-cylinder, in-line DOHC VVT-i|
|Power||178 Hp at 6,000 rpm||298 Hp at 6,600 rpm|
230 Nm at 4,100 rpm
|356 Nm at 4,700 rpm|
|Transmission||6-speed automatic||8-speed automatic|
|Fuel Economy||15 kmpl/14.6 kmpl||14.2 kmpl|
Paddle shifters should be standard with both the automatic units.
What are the Toyota Camry hybrid specs?
The Toyota Camry hybrid specs comprise a 2.5-litre engine that works in conjunction with an electric motor. The combined power output for the hybrid variant stands at 176 Hp against 163 Nm torque. This system is paired to an eight-speed automatic gearbox that channels drive to the front wheels.
2019 Toyota Camry Variants
The Toyota Camry is available with two engine choices and two gearbox options in six trim levels including S 2.5L, SE 2.5L, S 3.5L, SE 3.5L, Sport 3.5L, and Toyota Camry HEV.
- The base S 2.5L variant misses out on a bunch of exterior and interior bits compared to higher variants in the line-up.
- Variants powered by 2.5L engines are more fuel-efficient.
- The range-topping Sport 3.5L grade comes with an additional kit.
2019 Toyota Camry Price
The Toyota Camry price in UAE ranges between AED 92,000 to AED 133,600. Out of the six variants, the hybrid version is the most expensive.
2019 Toyota Camry price list is given below:
Toyota Camry S 2.5L
|AED 91,000 to 92,000|
|Toyota Camry SE 2.5L||AED 91,900 to 100,000|
|Toyota Camry S 3.5L||AED 11,4000 to 11,5000|
|Toyota Camry SE 3.5L||AED 12,2500 to 12,3000|
|Toyota Camry Sport 3.5L||AED 12,4500 to 12,5000|
|Toyota Camry 2.5L HEV||AED 13,3500 to 13,3600|
2019 Toyota Camry Safety Features
The standard safety suite on the sedan comprises of a bunch of active and passive safety tech. It packs dual front airbags, anti-lock braking system, electronic brakeforce distribution, brake assist, vehicle stability control, cruise control, child restraint system, tire pressure monitor system, hill start assist control, daytime running lights, rear fog lamp and rear parking sensors.
- Side and curtain airbags are missing in base S 2.5L.
- The rear-view camera is available from SE 2.5L onwards.
- Fog lamps have also been left out in the 2.5L variants.
- Clearance & back sonar comes with the higher 3.5L grades.
2019 Toyota Camry Competition
- While Toyota Camry is priced on the higher side, Honda Accord is the most expensive of all the above-mentioned models.
- Of all the rivals, the Camry offers the most powerful 3.5-litre V6 engine with 298 Hp of top power.
- Save for Toyota Camry and Chevrolet Malibu, the Honda Accord and Nissan Altima are available with CVT options.
- The Honda Accord is the fastest with a claimed top speed of 250 km/h for the 2.0T 14 FWD version.
Which model out of Camry, Accord, Malibu and Altima has better resale value?
The Chevrolet Malibu and Nissan Altima are relatively new models in the segment, hence their resale value is slightly less as compared to Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. Coming from the stables of Toyota and Honda, both Camry and Accord have pretty good resale value.
Carrying a modish design, the 2019 Toyota Camry is a visual treat for the sedan enthusiasts. It brings together the best of both worlds, boldness, and elegance. The cabin is spacious enough to accommodate five full-size adults comfortably, besides there is enough cargo space for storing luggage. However, the use of some hard plastic inside is a put-off. Ride and handling have improved over the previous model, which is a good chance. If the fuel economy is on the top of your priority list, go for the hybrid version, though it carries a hefty price tag as compared to the standard variants. On the feature front, Camry still misses out on some of the prominent techs such as Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa among others.
Also read: 2020 Toyota Corolla - All You Need To Know